Starting Saturday May 21st 2022
I’m looking forward to my next long distance coast path walk from Plymouth to Dartmouth in May this year.
I had originally planned to do two stretches in 2020 and in 2021, but Covid made that much more difficult. So to catch up I’ve decided to cover two stretches this year and to complete the walk to Poole in 2023 – Hopefully!
Last year, I walked around 76 miles from Falmouth to Plymouth and finished with a walk around Plymouth’s South coast to reach Plymstock. So in May this year, I plan to set off from Plymstock heading for Dartmouth; a journey of approximately 66 miles over 5 days. I will then be back in July to walk from Dartmouth to Sidmouth
The planned itinerary is as follows:
- 21st May: travel down to Plymstock arriving there around mid-day. From there I’ll walk the short 8 mile stretch to Yealm crossing. If I can make it there by 4pm I hope to catch the ferry accross so that I can start the next stretch from Wembury
- 22nd May: Wembury to Bigbury-on-Sea (River crossing) 14 miles
- 23rd May: Bigbury-on-Sea to Salcombe (River crossing) 14 miles
- 24th May: Salcombe to Torcross 13 miles
- 25th May: Torcross to Dartmouth 10 miles
The mileage for each day is not too excessive but this is a series of steep climbs and descents. I calculate my total ascent over this stretch to be 2200m in total; that’s up and down Snowdon twice on top of the 66 miles! But, it’s what I do because I enjoy it! Yes even the hard climbs reward me when I reach the top by presenting me with a beautiful scenic view.
Just a taster from the first mile of last year’s walk from St Anthony Head to Portloe
As with all of my walks, I’m happy to walk alone or with company. If you would like to join me for all or any part of this walk, please contact me and we’ll make the necessary arrangements.
Please bookmark this site and ‘follow, like, share and save me’. Look out for more posts on this coast path walk from Plymouth to Sidmouth as I break the journey down into daily sections.
For more information about the 630 mile journey along the South West Coast Path, why not check out https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.ukThe South West Coast Path website